The purpose of the Sippican Lands Trust is to preserve open space whether by purchase, gift, lease, sale, restriction, exchange, education or otherwise, for the benefit of both the residents and visitors to the Town of Marion. The ultimate goal of the Trust is to protect wildlife, ecosystems and natural resources as well as the history, heritage and beauty of the area. Open land, not only provides use with a sense tranquility and pleasure now, but the protection of this land is our legacy for the future generations.
A QUICK SLT CHRONOLOGY
- 1974 Founding of Sippican Lands Trust under the guidance of Mary Clark
- 1979 First contribution – Barnabas Woods
- 1985 The Stewardship Program is inaugurated.
- 1994 First Conservation Restriction donation – Little Marion Golf Course
- 1995 First purchases – Peirson Woods and Howland Marsh
- 1996 SLT holds first community-wide clambake
- 1996 SLT collaborates with the Coalition for Buzzards Bay in creation of Bay Lands Center
- 2000 SLT properties total 500 acres
- 2004 First full-time land protection staff initiated